Response to 2305 Classmate

Hi there!

I fully agree with you that removing the legalization of abortion would greatly hinder the progress women have made over the last few centuries. The beauty of Roe v. Wade is that it affirmed a person's right to their own body, and safely allowing access to abortions. What I really loved about your post was that you gave a brief introduction to the Roe v. Wade case, provided a brief reminder of the President's stance, and then also specifically targeted Ohio and their wish to reenact archaic laws. One thing I learned while reading your piece was that there was even a movement to remove the legalization of abortions; as a former resident of the state, I did not realize this was something that was actively occurring. Your blog post also gave me an opportunity to refresh my knowledge on the intricacies of Roe v. Wade, and I found there were many cases before and after the verdict that have also heavily impacted many women's daily lives.

Personally, I fully support a woman's right to choose. I believe that it should be up to an individual to terminate a pregnancy for whatever reasons they deem necessary. Rape, incest, mother's life, age, disease, etc., these are not reasons that any individual (or male lawmaker) should be able to restrict against a person. I know many women who have had abortions for a variety of reasons and regardless of their reason,  they feel a sense of loss and grief. I think there is a common misconception within the media, pro-life groups, and other cultural groups that believe women who get abortions are doing it out of "convenience"; people also forget that while your personal choice is life, we should respect those that choose differently.

Thanks for writing such a wonderful piece and sharing some valuable information regarding women's health!

My classmate's blog, The Sweet (and not so sweet) Sides of America can be found here.

Comments

Popular Posts